Defensive Duty Knife Instructor Course
Course # DKIN.0830.2 (DDK program hours 1 thru 44)
Michigan MCOLES Approved Course
(Approved by the Michigan Commission on LE Standards)
Nebraska NLETC Approved Course
(Approved by the Nebraska LE Training Center & Academy)
Endorsed by the following professional organizations:
- Action Target Training Academy
- Georgia Tactical Officer's Association (GTOA)
- Indiana SWAT Officer's Association (ISOA)
- International LE Educators & Trainers Association (ILEETA)
- International Association of LE Firearms Instructors (IALEFI)
Pre-requisite: Students must successfully complete the 5-day Defensive Duty Knife Instructor Certification Course to be eligible to attend the Master Defensive Duty Knife Instructor Apprenticeship Course.
Course Description: This challenging 5-day instructor certification course focuses on development of instructor skills in the justifiable use, deployment and application of the law enforcement duty knife / rescue tool.
Students will learn about methods of instruction, lesson plan development, legal issues, establishing qualification standards and how to apply these techniques in classroom and scenario based presentations.
Students will be required to make evaluated classroom presentations and scenario based presentations using these techniques for instructor certification.
Upon completion of this course, the student will possess the skills and knowledge necessary to instruct, evaluate, test and certify qualified operators in the safe use and deployment of the law enforcement duty knife / rescue tool.
Students that successfully pass the instructor standard drills, presentation evaluations and written test are eligible to receive instructor certification.
Our Defensive Duty Knife Program focuses on training law enforcement officers and armed professionals in reasonable and effective deployment of the duty knife as a defensive tool and justifies its application within the Use of Force Continuum.
Click here to view the professional vita for lead instructor
The following topics will be covered:
Duty knife / rescue tool deployment, use and safety.
Duty knife characteristics and selection.
Rescue tool and utility uses.
Methods of instruction and lesson plan development.
Carrying a duty knife and accessibility.
Mental conditioning and combat mindset.
Enhanced tactical aptitude.
Principal rules of using a duty knife in self-defense.
Justifiable use of the duty knife in the Continuum of Force.
Legal issues and developing agency duty knife policy.
- Threat cues and assessment.
Identifying and understanding edged weapon threats.
Defensive reaction to edged weapon attacks.
- Utilizing various striking surfaces of the duty knife.
Basic edged weapon striking techniques.
- Intermediate edged weapon striking techniques.
- Advanced edged weapon striking techniques.
Understanding application and effects of knife strikes.
Identifying primary and secondary targets.
Application from incapacitating limbs to use of deadly force.
- Bilateral training.
- Continuous reaction to multiple threats.
- Position & maneuver for close quarter defensive reaction.
- Flow, feedback and reactive targets.
- Standoff capabilities of the duty knife.
- Direct contact and lateral movement.
- Weapon retention and disarming techniques.
- Weapon transition drills.
- Stress inoculation and stress exposure drills.
- Combined skills evaluation.
- DDK instructor standard drills evaluation.
- Instructor oral presentations.
- Instructor scenario presentations.
- Written examination.
Course duration: 5 days (44 hours)
Course tuition: $ 750.00
Course student limit: 16
Student requirements: Pen, paper, mouth guard, groin protection, comfortable clothing suitable for ground fighting and duty belt.
(Body armor is optional unless it is required by your agency during training)
Recommended personal equipment: Kneepads, neoprene gloves or padded gloves, redman padded head protection, red gun, towel, hydration system and water.
Spartan Tactical will provide all training knives, training weapons, Shocknife products and additional safety equipment for this class.
CLICK HERE TO VIEW THE 2013 TRAINING SCHEDULE
CLICK HERE FOR CLASS REGISTRATION